Jump-Start Low BMI Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery has long been considered a safe and effective option for obese patients to improve their health and increase longevity. Current guidelines restrict surgery to patients with a Body Mass Index [BMI] over 40 or a BMI over 35 with obesity-related illnesses. If you are interested in weight loss surgery but do not qualify because your BMI falls below the current guidelines, you may be eligible for weight loss surgery through the Jump-Start Low BMI program offered at South Mississippi Surgical Weight Loss Center, through the BARInet Preferred Provider Network.
Patients who qualify for the Jump-Start Low BMI Program will have the option for a Sleeve Gastrectomy procedure at Singing River Hospital. The hospital has been accredited by American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery program (MBSAQIP). MBSAQIP works to advance safe, high-quality care for bariatric surgical patients through the accreditation of bariatric surgical centers. A bariatric surgical center achieves accreditation following a rigorous review process during which it proves that it can maintain certain physical resources, human resources, and standards of practice. All accredited centers report their outcomes to the MBSAQIP database.
- Patients with a BMI between 30 and 34 with or without conditions such as:
- Type ll Diabetes (with Impaired Fasting Glucose or Insulin Resistance)
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
In order to qualify for the Jump-Start Low BMI Bariatric Surgery Program, you must be between 18 and 60 years of age.
Patients meeting any of the below criteria will not be eligible for the Jump-Start Low BMI Bariatric Surgery program.
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes with more than 10 years of diagnosis of disease, poor glycemic control (HgbA1C > 7) even with intensive medical treatment with oral medication and/or insulin.
- Insulin Pumps
- Use of blood thinners
- History of prior CVA (Stroke) or MI (Heart Attack)
- Use of home oxygen
- Sleep apnea (utilizing cpap or bipap)
- History of DVT (Deep Venous Thrombosis – blood clots)
- Active smokers or active vapors
- Patients who have had prior bariatric surgery (with exception of band who may be considered upon consultation, with additional band removal fees to be expected).
- If during program it is deemed necessary for patient to have a cardiac clearance to proceed you are disqualified
Surgeon retains right to exclude a patient if he deems them a poor surgical candidate regardless of criteria listed above.
Jump-Start Low BMI Bariatric Surgery Program
Patients who qualify for the Jump-Start Low BMI Program will have the option for a Sleeve Gastrectomy procedure at Singing River Hospital. The hospital has been accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program for its record of providing a safe environment with high-quality care to its patients resulting in successful outcomes.
- Preoperative Visits, to include:
- Bari Assessment
- Nutrition 101
- Weight Management
- PET (Perioperative Educational Training)
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy procedure at Singing River Hospital
- 1 Year Postoperative Follow-Up Care
- 6 Month Readmission Protection – if readmitted within 6 months following procedure for any surgery related complications to SRHS (facility where surgery performed) there is no additional charge to the patient.
Any additional requirements such as a psychologic evaluation, labs and other preoperative testing will not be included in the program cost. These additional costs will be the patient’s financial responsibility.
Call 228-872-7277 to request a consultation or more information.
Begin Your Journey
Please contact our Ocean Springs office location if you are considering bariatric surgery. We can answer any questions you have and help you to determine whether this technique is the right solution for you. To learn more, register for one of our informational sessions. Your surgical weight loss journey begins at our information seminar where you will view and receive materials that explain the surgical weight loss process, and meet members of our team. But most importantly you will begin the process of change, not just your looks, but your life.