Bariatric surgery has long been considered a safe and effective option for obese patients to improve their health and increase longevity. Current guidelines restrict surgery to patients with a Body Mass Index [BMI] over 40 or a BMI over 35 with obesity-related illnesses. If you are interested in weight loss surgery but do not qualify because your BMI falls below the current guidelines, you may be eligible for weight loss surgery through the Jump-Start Low BMI program offered at South Mississippi Surgical Weight Loss Center, through the BARInet Preferred Provider Network.
Patients who qualify for the Jump-Start Low BMI Program will have the option for a Sleeve Gastrectomy procedure at Singing River Hospital. The hospital has been accredited by American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery program (MBSAQIP). MBSAQIP works to advance safe, high-quality care for bariatric surgical patients through the accreditation of bariatric surgical centers. A bariatric surgical center achieves accreditation following a rigorous review process during which it proves that it can maintain certain physical resources, human resources, and standards of practice. All accredited centers report their outcomes to the MBSAQIP database.
Please see the flyer for more information on our self-pay options, in case you do not qualify for insurance coverage. The attached testimonial is from this month’s South Mississippi Living magazine. For more information, please look at our website.
For patients with a bariatric exclusion in their policy, those who do not have insurance, and those who are seeking surgery outside the constraints of their insurance company, we offer many self-funded options for bariatric surgery. We have self-pay programs for many different types of weight loss surgery as well as secondary, or revision procedures.
How To Start
It's easy to start today!
- Patients with a BMI between 30 and 34 with or without conditions such as:
- Type ll Diabetes (with Impaired Fasting Glucose or Insulin Resistance)
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
In order to qualify for the Jump-Start Low BMI Bariatric Surgery Program, you must be between 18 and 60 years of age.
Patients meeting any of the below criteria will not be eligible for the Jump-Start Low BMI Bariatric Surgery program.
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes with more than 10 years of diagnosis of disease, poor glycemic control (HgbA1C > 7) even with intensive medical treatment with oral medication and/or insulin.
- Insulin Pumps
- Use of blood thinners
- History of prior CVA (Stroke) or MI (Heart Attack)
- Use of home oxygen
- Sleep apnea (utilizing cpap or bipap)
- History of DVT (Deep Venous Thrombosis – blood clots)
- Active smokers or active vapors
- Patients who have had prior bariatric surgery (with exception of band who may be considered upon consultation, with additional band removal fees to be expected).
- If during program it is deemed necessary for patient to have a cardiac clearance to proceed you are disqualified
Surgeon retains right to exclude a patient if he deems them a poor surgical candidate regardless of criteria listed above.